Preliminary report released in a plane crash | News, Sports, Jobs

MARIETTA — A preliminary report into the Oct. 18 plane crash that killed two men as they approached Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport says icing may have been a contributing factor but does not indicates no cause.

The National Transportation Safety Review Board report, provided Thursday by an agency spokesperson, details statements made by an investigator the day after the crash at a press conference near the Pioneer Buick GMC lot on the road. Highway 7 in Reno.

Parkersburg resident Eric S. Seevers, 45, and Timothy F. Gifford, 49, of Orient, Ohio, were killed in the crash. The 1974 Beechcraft King Air E90 took off around 6:40 a.m. from John Glenn Columbus International Airport and was picking up two Parkersburg residents for a trip to Florida.

Communications with air traffic controllers at the Indianapolis Air Traffic Control Center were normal, with no indication of irregularities, according to the report. The same was true for exchanges with the Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport control tower.

The flight crew acknowledged their clearance to land around 7:09 a.m., while on a three-mile final approach, the report said. This was the last communication received from the aircraft.

“Several eyewitnesses located at the airport and in the area surrounding the crash site reported that the aircraft, while flying straight and level, suddenly began a steep descent and turned almost vertically downward. floor”, the report says, adding that security camera footage from multiple sources was generally consistent with those accounts.

Pilots in the region have reported “light to moderate icing conditions” at the time of the accident, according to the report.

“Meteorological satellite data showed supercooled liquid water clouds from 1,300 feet agl (feet above ground) to about 8,000 feet agl,” It said.

The report notes that the plane’s pneumatic anti-icing system was consumed by the fire that started after the plane hit the ground. “a reliable determination of their positions after the impact could not be made.”

Other components also suffered significant impact and thermal damage, but there were no indications of any mechanical abnormalities on the engine components that would have prevented normal operation, according to the report.

NTSB investigator Aaron McCarter mentioned normal communications and the possibility of icing when speaking to members of the media the day after the crash. He said a final report, to be reviewed by the NTSB board, was expected in nine to 12 months.

Today’s breaking news and more to your inbox