Police escorted 200 passengers from the plane as 1 missed security

  • Police escorted 200 Qantas passengers through a security scan after their flight landed.
  • The incident happened after a passenger “inadvertently missed” the checkpoint, the airline said.
  • The passengers were allowed to leave Melbourne Airport after being screened again, local media reported.

Police escorted more than 200 passengers from a plane after it landed when it emerged that at least one had not cleared security before boarding.

After landing on Wednesday, passengers on Qantas flight QF487 from Sydney to Melbourne had to wait 15-20 minutes on board and in a boarding lounge before being escorted to the arrivals hall, The Guardian and others reported. media.

“It has been made clear that we are not to stop in the toilet, put anything in a bin or drop anything from our person on the way out,” Patrick Durkin, Melbourne bureau chief for the Australian Financial Review and a passenger on the plane, wrote in a column explaining the incident.

Photos he posted on Twitter showed passengers waiting on the plane, as well as photos of armed police at the airport.

They were allowed to leave Melbourne Airport once they were screened again, Sky News Australia reported.

A Qantas spokesperson told Insider that a passenger boarded a flight after “inadvertently” moving from an uncontrolled area into a controlled area at Sydney Airport.

“As a precaution, all passengers on QF487 were escorted off the aircraft when it landed in Melbourne and taken through the controlled part of the airport into the uncontrolled area,” the spokesperson said. , adding that Qantas will investigate to understand how the incident happened.

Flightaware shows the Airbus A330-200 took off from Sydney at 7:37 p.m. local time and landed in Melbourne at 9:01 p.m.

The passenger in question, who asked not to be named, told 3AW that he boarded a regional flight at an airport that had no security screening. Those passengers would usually be asked to go through security at Sydney Airport, but that didn’t happen, he told 9News. He said he was one of 40 to 60 passengers who did, according to 9News.

Sydney Airport did not immediately respond to Insider’s approach for comment.

The incident comes amid turbulent times for Qantas, Australia’s national flag carrier. The airline has been heavily criticized for its poor performance this summer after a series of mass cancellations, mishandled baggage incidents and long delays.

CEO Alan Joyce apologized for the operational issues, blaming staff shortages due to illness as causing the problems. Unions say the problems are self-inflicted, after the airline downsized during the pandemic.

Insider previously reported that up to 4,000 passengers were stranded by Qantas subsidiary Jetstar after the airline canceled eight flights this month.