Police called angry passengers as the plane remained on the runway at Birmingham Airport for hours after the hijacking

Passengers originally due to arrive at Bristol Airport suffered a ‘touch and go’ which diverted them to Birmingham Airport on Wednesday June 8. Passengers on a TUI flight from Cape Verde endured a 20-hour ordeal that involved airport delays, a frightening aborted landing, pilots sending an emergency code and being stranded for hours on the plane on the Birmingham runway.

All three emergency services were called in to deal with sick or angry passengers, before a coach was finally put in place to take them back to Bristol a day after their arrival. BristolLive reported there was more unexpected chaos at the hub as a flight originally scheduled to land at Bristol Airport was diverted to Birmingham after the flight ‘bounced off the runway’ as it attempted to depart land at its original destination.

Passengers on board said the flight landed “hard” before departing and it then issued a general emergency signal to air traffic controllers, meaning the plane had to land.

READ MORE:Coventry grandfather, 62, stuck in passport queue all day compares chaos to ‘snakes and ladders’

“We absolutely bounced off the runway into the sky causing a system error,” said Devon passenger Rachael Lewis. “Before landing, the captain said it would be bouncy due to the length of the tarmac.

“We took a shortcut. I’ve traveled a lot in Bristol and I was like ‘where are we going?’ The captain said it was normal and he was going to try again.

“We made a big turn and then he announced that a system error had occurred,” she added. “Honestly, it was scary. I landed in Canada in ice and snow, but it was ‘bouncing, bouncing’.”

Passengers were kept on board the plane for two hours after the plane landed in Birmingham while checks were carried out to see if the plane was fit to return to Bristol. First, after about an hour, the passengers became unruly towards the cabin crew.

“Loads of people kicked things off,” Rachael said. “A man abused the staff, so they called the police.”

She says the man was escorted off the plane. Then added that a pregnant woman on board had become seriously ill, and after a doctor was called on board, before airport firefighters entered the plane to administer first aid, followed paramedics who treated her at the back of the plane. .

Finally, the plane was allowed to return to Bristol, resulting in another wait in the terminal while baggage claim.